Legal Assistant - Finger Lakes Region
epresentation. They therefore are often forced to turn to service providers who may not have the necessary expertise in immigration law. To address this issue, the New York State Office for New Americans (ONA) will expand the availability of immigration lawyers around the state offering free and expert technical legal assistance legal clinics, direct representation, and legal seminars and workshops.
Reporting to the Supervising Attorney, the ONA Legal Assistant will assist in carrying out ONA grant objectives and will work to advance the mission of Journey’s End Refugee Services. The ONA Legal Assistant will provide outreach, referrals, and assistance with direct immigration legal services, and will assist ONA Legal Counsels in the organization of legal clinics, legal consultation days, and community information sessions across the counties of the Finger Lakes. The Finger Lakes region includes Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Seneca, Yates, and Wayne Counties. This position will primarily operate out of Rochester, NY.
- Assist ONA Legal Counsels in providing direct immigration legal representation to the immigrant populations of the Finger Lakes.
- Assist ONA Legal Counsels in the organization and facilitation of legal consultation days, legal clinics, and community information sessions at the ONA Opportunity Center and other partner agencies across the Finger Lakes.
- Assist ONA Legal Counsels to develop, sustain, and grow meaningful partnerships with local community groups to organize and host events.
- Assist ONA Legal Counsels in fielding and confirming receipt of immigration law questions from the ONA Opportunity Center, other immigrant service providers, and individuals in need of immigration assistance in the region.
- Assist in the development and distribution of a list of resources for referrals on programs and services available to new Americans.
- Assist in the collection, organization, and submission of program data and documentation for grant reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Have previous relevant office experience (including filing, letter-drafting, data entry, completion of organizational tasks in a timely manner, etc.)
- Be able and willing to travel extensively to counties throughout the Finger Lakes
- Be able and willing to travel to Journey’s End’s office in Buffalo, NY for mandatory staff training and events
- Possess ability to be part of a dedicated team of talented individuals
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills
Journey's End Refugee Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ the best qualified personnel without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, or any other reason prohibited by law.
Send resume, cover letter, and three references to jobs@jersbuffalo.Org. Please include job title and location in subject of email.
***incomplete applications will not be considered. ***