Staff Attorney - Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Baton Rouge
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Baton Rouge is seeking a full time Staff Attorney to meet the needs of indigent immigrants by providing direct representation and assistance in applying for immigration benefits before USCIS representation services for immigrants and their families facing removal proceedings at the Oakdale, Jena and New Orleans Immigration Courts in Louisiana. The Staff Attorney will also provide non-representative Legal Orientation Program (LOP) services to immigration detainees in the immigration detention centers located in rural Louisiana. Travel is anticipated for a minimum for three to eight days per month. This position requires maintaining external relationships and representing the agency to the public, as such it requires a polished business-like demeanor and professional appearance, which excludes unnatural hair color, conspicuous body art and facial piercings.
- Education: J.D. from an accredited ABA institute
- Preferred Experience: 6 months – 2 years of immigration law practice experience. Law school clinical experience, externships, or other similar training may be considered in lieu of practice experience. Experience with criminal defense or litigation with willingness to learn immigration law will also be considered.
- Certification/Licensure: Louisiana license preferred. Admitted to practice law in any state or the District of Columbia is acceptable.
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance
- Completion of background checks such as driving record, criminal record, and sex offense registry, state and local police records, or national sources such as FBI and E-Verify as required by funding agencies or determined necessary by Catholic Charities and results must be satisfactory to CCDBR, its representatives, employees, or agents as an essential requirement of employment.
- Spanish fluency – reading, writing and speaking preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office platform
- Ability to work with a diverse population with diverse needs
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and other demands as needed
- Ability to think strategically and creatively problem solve
- Exercises good judgement and ability to lead change
- Proven ability to work in a dynamic team and build strong working relationships
- Ability to flexibly share leadership and build consensus
- Ability to take initiative and make difficult decisions when necessary
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Must be able to lift 5 to 20 lbs. occasionally for 5 – 30 minutes. This position requires the employee to walk, stoop, lift, bend, squat, kneel, climb, handle. Sitting for 6 to 7 hours a day is expected for this position.
- Long distance travel by automobile is expected for a minimum of three (3) days per month
- Occasional air travel may be required for continuing legal education and training purposes
- Standing for 2-4 hours per day may be required while facilitating the LOP
Qualified applicants interested in this position should submit their resume with a cover letter. Catholic Charities is a mission-based organization and Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider it a privilege to serve people of all faiths and socio-economic backgrounds. Our leadership is mission-driven, energetic, disciplined and self-motivated. We value diversity, service, compassion, and accountability; we hold ourselves responsible for delivering outcomes that change people’s lives. Benefits:
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
To apply, click here.
Baton Rouge , LA