Staff Attorney - Latino Memphis
Latino Memphis is a nonprofit organization committed to working with the Latinx community for the past 27+ years. Our impact model consists of providing legal and social direct services, addressing systemic issues through advocacy and engagement, and collaborating with public, nonprofit, and private sectors to advance an agenda where everyone is welcome and has an opportunity to achieve their goals and aspirations. We are a collective of about 25 diverse professionals working in immigration legal representation, information and referrals, social services for unaccompanied minors, workforce development, advocacy, public health, and other initiatives. We are an organization in the making - building a horizontal model that is client and employee-centered and is fueled by our passion and commitment to empowering people to gain upward mobility. Our definition and commitment to DEI is broad and is encompassed by our tagline, "tod@s means all."
Latino Memphis has an immediate opening for a Staff Attorney and is seeking a qualified and dedicated bilingual legal professional to join our Derechos immigration legal team. The Attorney may live in Memphis and work from the home office in Memphis or reside in the Nashville area but would be occasionally be expected to travel to Memphis.
Latino Memphis' immigration legal program, Derechos, represents clients in immigration court and before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS ) on a pro bono, affordable, and accessible basis. The types of cases we represent are:
- Adjustment of Status
- Asylum and Withholding of Removal
- Cancellation of Removal
- DACA Renewals
- Petitions for Alien Relative
- U Nonimmigrant Status
- Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
- T Nonimmigrant Status
- Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Self-Petitions.
The Staff Attorney will provide legal representation to individuals before the Memphis Immigration Court and before USCIS. The attorney in this position will primarily represent unaccompanied minors in applications for Asylum and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status.
Responsibilities and Duties include but are not limited to:
- Handle caseload providing direct representation of individuals in immigration and state court proceedings.
- Conduct thorough intakes for clients, including screening clients for immigration relief and trauma, abuse, and trafficking.
- Prepare applications for submission to USCIS and EOIR.
- Make client referrals for additional legal and non-legal services as appropriate.
- Assume administrative responsibilities, including timekeeping, case management, and other tasks related to program compliance and other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Possess Juris Doctorate and be licensed (Tennessee strongly preferred but not required)
- Experience or familiarity with immigration law
- Fluency in Spanish (written and verbal) is strongly preferred but not required.
- Experience working with minors, either in legal or non-legal settings
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of Latino Memphis, a progressive direct service and advocacy organization serving low and moderate-income clients who are often vulnerable and marginalized.
- Ability to work with a team of like-minded yet diverse individuals with different backgrounds and skills.
$55,000 (negotiable commensurate with experience, licensure, and level of Spanish proficiency)
Please send your resume; as well as a letter of interest OR 1-2 min intro video about yourself, your experience and why would you like to join our team to:
Senior Immigration Attorney
Latino Memphis is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that has served Latino clients throughout the Mid-South for over 28 years. Our mission is to assist Latinos in this region by connecting, collaborating, and advocating for health, education, and justice; we envision a future in which every Latino in the Memphis metropolitan area has the opportunity and the resources to become an engaged member of the larger community. We are an affiliate of UnidosUS, the largest Latino advocacy organization in the USA. Latino Memphis makes all hiring and employment decisions without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, sexual identity, immigrant status, political affiliation, or belief. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact the office.
Social Responsibility Statement: We are working towards a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive society. Our organizational commitments extend to women, indigenous individuals, people of color, the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with different abilities, people in poverty, and anyone vulnerable, inside and outside of our four walls. If we are to become a fair society, all resources and opportunities must be universally accessible for all people. When it comes to civil rights and social justice, we recognize that Black Americans paved the way for the rest of us. Although each community has different struggles, we now must work collectively to achieve equity. This reality is far away; thus, we are committed to the journey starting within. If we want to change the landscape for the community that we serve, we must recognize that the change and the action must begin with us.