Expanding Into the Community
Immigrant integration efforts are ongoing and multilateral. After an agency decides to make integration a priority and begins its efforts, work then needs to be done to expand the work out into the greater community. This work can include partnering with city government, working with local parishes or libraries, creating cross-cultural events, among others.
General Ideas and Inspiration
- 12 Ways to Promote Integration in Your Community
Integration happens most successfully at the local level. Positive day to day interactions between local residents encourage mutual understanding of different perspectives and lead to increased respect amongst all those calling a community home.
- Immigrant Integration Funding Guide
Immigrant integration is an equal partnership between newcomers and the receiving community who work together to make their community more inclusive. As trusted members in the community, immigration legal service providers play a key role in promoting integration. Nonprofits that engage in integration efforts in addition to legal services increase capacity, expand their services, work with all members in the community, and thus have an increase in opportunities to additional/alternate funding streams.
- Increasing Immigrant Integration and Inclusion Through Community Partnerships (Recorded on 03/30/2022)
Community partnerships are an effective method for nonprofit agencies to promote integration at the local level.
- Follow the Faithful: the Vital Role Faith-based Organizations Play in Integration Work
Immigrant integration results, in large part, from local partnerships between newcomers and the receiving community. Faith-based organizations are key partners in integration work.
- Follow the Mission: The Vital Role Immigration Legal Service Providers Play in Integration Work
Trust between newcomers and the receiving community is instrumental to integration work. Nonprofit immigration legal service providers are key partners in effective integration and inclusion work.
- Partnership Toolkit
Partnerships are a valuable tool for any organization looking to expand or strengthen services in the community. In a well-functioning partnership, all members contribute ideas to the group, coordinate dates and events so that all can participate, and mutually benefit from the partnership.
- Harnessing the Power of Partnerships
This webinar training covers how to develop and use partnerships effectively and what resources you can use to manage them. Programs already benefitting from strong partnerships talk about their experiences and provide tips on how to seek out and pursue this type of working relationship. We also talk about how best to reduce the impact of notarios and encourage immigrants to seek out authorized immigration legal services.
- Volunteer Management Toolkit
Many tasks in an immigration legal services program can be completed by volunteers. Using volunteers, when possible, frees up staff time that can be devoted to offering more services to clients. This toolkit contains helpful information on how best to use volunteers in your program, how to recruit and retain volunteers, and how to incorporate them into your program’s plan for the passage of Comprehensive Immigration Reform. Sample forms are included as well as sample volunteer job descriptions.
Partnering With Cities
- 2019 Webinar Series: Promoting Immigrant Integration in Partnership with City Government
This four-part webinar series highlights the basic components of establishing a relationship and working with your city government to promote immigrant integration
- Part I: Setting the Stage (Recorded on 01/23/2019)
- Part II: Relationship Building (Recorded on 01/30/2019)
- Part III: Getting the Job Done (Recorded on 02/06/2019)
- Part IV: Following Up and Following Through (Recorded on 2/13/2019)
- City Resources Toolkit
- Working with Local Government on Immigrant Integration (Recorded on 03/08/2017)
Working with Local Government on Immigrant Integration.
- Cities and Integration Toolkit
Here is a toolkit with ideas for working with your local officials on immigrant integration.
- Promoting immigrant integration: Ideas for working together with your local officials
Immigrant integration is a dynamic, two-way process in which newcomers and the receiving society work together to build a secure, vibrant and cohesive community.
- Welcoming the Stranger through Immigrant Integration
Welcoming the Stranger through Immigrant Integration discusses five state-level legislative initiatives that promote the integration of immigrants into our states and communities.
- CLINIC Resources on Partnering with Cities
These recent resources include a webinar series, toolkits, a report, and other documents on partnering with cities to promote immigrant integration.
Partnering With Libraries
- Why Your Library Should Consider Offering Immigration Legal Services
Use this resource to learn more about providing immigration legal services as a DOJ recognized organization.
- The Role of Public Libraries in Naturalization (Webinar)
Learn why libraries make a strong partner in citizenship efforts; what resources and programmatic support are available to libraries; things to consider when your program is pursuing a partnership with a library; and what efforts exist at the federal level to promote this partnership.
Partnering With Parishes
- Resources for Helping Immigrants in Your Catholic Communities
- Building United Communities: Integration Strategies from Faith Organizations
- Moving From Stranger to Neighbor: How to Incorporate Parish Volunteers into Newcomer Integration Initiatives Webinar
In part two of our series on incorporating parish volunteers into immigration-related services, we move our focus to immigrant integration.